Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Kick-Ass and Whip It!

Strangely, I only just saw both these movies this last weekend...strangely, because they are both movies that friends had recommended I watch because they thought I'd like them, and it took me forever to actually see them. And my friends were right I did like both of them...very much.

First up...
Kick-Ass
This movie isn't even really about Kick-Ass, it's about Hit Girl. Kick-Ass doesn't really become a 'super hero' until the end of the movie when he hooks up with Hit Girl to avenge Big Daddy's death. Hit Girl has all the best scenes and all the best moves and of course, all the best lines. She's a much more interesting character than Kick-Ass and you want to know more about her. You pretty much know everything about Kick-Ass.

Next up...
Whip It!
Whip It is Drew Barrymore's directorial debut, I hope she directs some more films because this movie was a fun romp about how roller derby helps a teenage girl find herself. Ellen Page as Bliss is excellent as usual and is no way like Juno, though there is one line of dialogue where she sounded just like Juno. Bliss is less conifident than Juno and is trying to please her mother by being in beauty pageants. But Bliss lies about her age and joins a all women roller derby team of losers, though of course quirky characters. The casting was perfect. The soundtrack is awesome. And now I really want some roller skates!

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment